Permeable paving systems are getting a lot of attention and are becoming a part of construction codes in many areas recognizing the need for innovative stormwater management measures.
The primary purpose in the design of a permeable paving system is to effectively reduce and manage the quantity of surface rain water runoff while accommodating pedestrians, vehicular parking and traffic. A full filtration system designed for permeable subsurface soils should allow the storm water to penetrate the surface and filter through the base course and the native soils back into the aquifers while promoting tree and plant survival by providing air and water to the roots.
If the capacity of the soil to filtrate the water is exceeded, the base may be designed to filter, partially treat and slowly release the water into a storm sewer.
The benefits include a more beautiful, user friendly environment that eliminates surface retention ponds and can reduce runoff up to 80% from storms drastically reducing pooling and flooding on parking lots. Aggressive permeability can also contribute to faster snow and ice melt drainage.
To locate the highest quality materials for a unique sustainable permeable paving system Milestone Imports utilized a threefold equation:
- Find quality products with exceptional properties that make them a strong value for residential & commercial applications.
- Identify solutions in bringing the products to market that will increase their applied value.
- Design and implement a reliable delivery and support system for each product.
We found products that fit this equation both independently and in a combined system to create a sustainable solution for modern permeable paver applications.
Porphyry paving stones and GftK jointing mortars
Porphyry is chosen for its beauty, function, and durability. Porphyry is an ideal paving material for residential, commercial, civic and hospitality applications such as streets, sidewalks, plazas, parks, patios, and driveways. Available in many sizes from cubes to pavers, Porphyry lends itself to an old world, hand-crafted look while meeting modern standards.
- Denser and less porous than most granites
- Unaffected by freezing and thawing
- Highly resistant to chemicals
- Extremely durable requiring little maintenance
- In compliance with ADA requirements for smoothness and slip resistance when set correctly
- Can be set on concrete for a rigid application or over an engineered base course of gravels and sand for a flexible, permeable application.
- Proven over the millennia to be a superb, sustainable road surface material
Since the companies formation in 1971 GftK GmbH Germany has been pioneering the development of innovative epoxy resin-based mortar systems (EP-mortar). They set a milestone in 1985 with the launch of their first EP pavement fixing mortar as a simple, fast, inexpensive, environmentally compatible and durable option for permeable unit paving projects.
GftK’s epoxy resin-based jointing mortars bring a proven record of bonding, strength and durability as the highest value for permeable paving solutions. The products are specifically designed for the type of natural stone or manufactured paving, for the format of the paver and the type of traffic and exposure anticipated.
- Fast, durable and cost effective
- Easily flow applied
- Can be applied on wet surfaces
- Optimum strength correlation
- Mechanical sweeper resistant
- Abrasion resistant
- Frost de-icing salt resistant
- No weeds or boring insects
- Environmentally friendly
Drawing upon the knowledge and experience of Porphyry and permeable systems expert’s world wide, Milestone Imports has established guidelines, specifications and instructions for design, application and installation.
Miles Chaffee has been active in the stone business for over 25 years. He founded Milestone Imports, in 2002 to focus on quarry-direct representation of Porphyry paving stones. Milestone Imports now represents GftK Jointing Mortars and Porphyry quarries from around the world importing and distributing throughout the United States, Canada, Japan, Taiwan and Hong Kong.
Miles’ travels have carried him to diverse locations to promote Porphyry as a historically sound material that provides beauty and sustainable solutions to today’s modern challenges. He has traveled throughout the world to locate and research high quality materials with sound quarrying practices that lend themselves to the demands of his customers.